UnitedLex is the world’s leading enterprise legal services provider, with various services throughout the legal ecosystem. In late 2019, UnitedLex sought help from Nuvem Consulting to revamp their long-standing Salesforce implementation during a time of rapid internal transformation. Notably, UnitedLex wanted to execute the project within 6 weeks so that new sales users could get up and going quickly in Salesforce in the new year.
Their requirements included migrating users from Salesforce Classic to Salesforce Lightning interface; implementing Outlook integration; implementing Azure Active Directory Single Sign-On with Salesforce; overhauling key data points and sales processes; data cleanup; integrating the marketing automation platform (HubSpot), and training a large number of new users in the org.
After successfully re-deploying users to the revamped org in the desired timeframe, Nuvem Consulting worked closely with the UnitedLex executive team to align reporting goals with new data points and out-of-the-box reports and dashboard options in Salesforce.
The rapid reboot of Salesforce enabled UnitedLex to quickly see a return on its continued investment in Salesforce. The Sales Operations team subsequently set their sights on added functionality with a Salesforce Partner Community. And, as part of their overall “Lead to Cash” vision, UnitedLex planned a vigorous overhaul of their CPQ processes by implementing Salesforce CPQ later in 2020.
UnitedLex implemented Salesforce in 2008 and operated with various users, AppExchange applications, integrations, and overall architecture through the years. Lack of strong governance policies and dedicated Salesforce Administration resources led to low user adoption and ROI, which negatively impacted data quality and reporting. The team also experienced technical issues with integrating Outlook and had not implemented newer functionalities such as the Lightning Experience user interface.
Nuvem performed a two-week discovery on the existing Salesforce implementation and data quality, which included deep-dive sessions with sales and executive users and an exhaustive analysis of reporting deficiencies.
Throughout the project, Nuvem led numerous progress demos with various stakeholders to secure buy-in on recommended structural and process changes within Salesforce. Nuvem then translated functional requirements into technical requirements for the technical team and developed a phased project plan for adding additional functionality on top of the core Sales Cloud build-out.
Key requirements for Phase I included:
- Recommendations on licensing options for short and long-term growth plans
- Implementation of Lightning Experience
- Implementation of Sales Path in Leads and Opportunities
- Implementation of 4 custom service-line dashboards and 1 custom Leads dashboards and related reports
- Integration of Salesforce to Outlook Exchange environment (supported internal IT team)
- Integration of Azure Active Directory Single Sign-On with Automatic User Provisioning (supported internal IT team)
- Implementation of new users in new custom security Profiles and org-wide sharing access
- Extensive data work – migration and data cleansing in Leads, Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunities
- User Training for approximately 60 users
Key requirements for Phase II included:
- Integration of HubSpot marketing automation platform with custom workflow processes for lead flow and handoff points to Salesforce
- Custom trigger to automate the association of Campaign members to Salesforce based on tracked activities in HubSpot
- Recommendations and training on closed-loop reporting capabilities through Salesforce Campaigns
- Integration and onboarding of new outsourced business development team
- Implementation of a Partner Community portal for UnitedLex partners to log leads into the same Salesforce instance but through a custom branded experience
- Configuration of a custom record type for Leads
- Configuration of a unique security model to enable external and internal users to work Leads within the Partner Portal
Nuvem successfully completed phase I of the reboot within the desired timeline. This included vast changes to system architecture, an exhaustive data migration/cleansing component, training, and implementation of custom reports and dashboards. During this time, the client also was undergoing rapid internal transformation and growth, and their user base went from 43 to more than 100 active users and partner portal users.
The reboot provided users with a significantly enhanced user experience in Salesforce, which has led to stronger adoption. This, in turn, has enabled UnitedLex to achieve significantly higher ROI with Salesforce. Among their key adoption metrics in the 90 days before the reboot, and 90 days after the reboot, the client experienced:
500% increase in new tracked activities
300% increase in total new pipeline Opportunities and Won Opportunities
$128 million in new converted Leads
Finally, the success of the project can also be strongly attributed to the collaboration with the client team. The client “Center of Excellence” included a strong project manager, a key executive user champion, a key sales user champion, a Director of Sales Operations, marketing stakeholders, and an internal technical team. Each of these users worked together to provide input on requirements and secure buy-in with other users.
Working Towards a 360-Degree-View of Customer Accounts
Nuvem’s success in meeting the timeline requirement enabled the team to jump quickly into phase II, which added even greater functionality for users. Nuvem is also continuing to support the overall Salesforce roadmap for this client, and they plan to begin work on Salesforce CPQ later in 2020. They also hope to bring more functionality to Accounts in Salesforce, working towards a 360-degree-view of the Account by integrating their existing Project Management tool to Salesforce or implementing a new Salesforce Project Management solution. Reach out today for a free review of your current Salesforce implementation and to identify gaps in your reports!